Adding a project
One of the primary purposes of the FabLab wiki is to host information about projects that have been produced using FabLab machines. Once you have completed a project please do not forget to create a project page (or add to an existing one if more appropriate). The idea is to create a repository of knowledge so that Volunteers and Members do not have to start from scratch when they try something new.
Starting a new project page
- You will need to be logged in to have editing privileges, if you do not have an account set up, get one here.
- The easiest way to create a new page is to create a link to it and then click the link.
- To create a link from this page to your new page, click 'Edit' (top right of this page) - if you do your editing in a new tab/page in your browser (hold down the Command key while clicking 'Edit' if you are using a Mac) you will be able to refer to these instructions as you proceed
- Underneath the text '== Projects ==' on the relevant Machine page, type two square opening brackets, the name for your project and two closing square brackets so that it looks something like this: [[Project]]. The double square brackets make a link to a page on this wiki.
- Click 'Save Page' (bottom left of the editing page) and you should see this page with the link to your new page. This link should be red because the page has not been created yet. If the link is not red then the page has already been created - either add to the existing page or change the name of the project (by doing previous steps and changing the text in the square brackets.
- Click the link - the new empty page will be displayed.
- The xxx page is a good starting point, the easiest way to produce a new project page is to copy the contents of the xxx page and modify it.
- Go to the xxx page or other project page that you want to copy.
- Go into edit mode.
- Copy the page source code.
- Paste it into the source code editing area of your new page.
- Modify the text as necessary.
- Including images is a good idea.
- Use the 'Upload file' tool on the left to upload the image.
- Use the format [[File:filename.extension]], where filename.extension is the name of the uploaded image, to display the image.
- There are options to resize the image to make it smaller, add a link, caption etc. Consult mediawikiwiki:Help:Images for more guidance.
Useful Info on Editing Wiki Pages
The following are links to wikipedia pages with information on editing. If you find any others that are useful to you, please add them here.